Updated Nov 30, 2012 - 9:58 am
D-backs release Brad Bergesen
According to MLB on Fox reporter Ken Rosenthal, the D-backs and Bergesen came to an agreement to allow the right handed pitcher to enter free agnecy in order to sign a one-year deal with Japan's Chunichi Dragons.
Free-agent RHP Brad Bergesen on verge of 1-yr deal with Japan's Chunichi Dragons, sources say. #Diamondbacks released him so he could go.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) November 30, 2012
After three seasons with the Baltimore Orioles, the 27-year-old right hander was claimed off waivers by Arizona in 2012. But after spending most of the 2012 season in the minor leagues, the D-backs decided to let Bergesen go ahead of the Nov. 30 non-tender deadline.
He would have been arbitration eligible for a second straight season and had been a non-tender candidate with a projected salary of $1 million.
Bergesen pitched 29.2 innings for the Diamondbacks this past season and posted a 3.64 ERA with 18 strikeouts and seven walks.
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.