Analyst: Justin Upton to the Mariners makes sense for D-backs
So when reading the following trade idea, know that ESPN.com's Dave Schoenfield is merely suggesting a theoretical blockbuster deal, not reporting on a potential one.
In his SweetSpot blog, Schoenfield came up with five plausible blockbuster trade suggestions to keep with the theme of big shopping deals on Black Friday.
While Ken Kendrick spoke out in favor of his right fielder last weekend, of course, the Diamondbacks' Justin Upton still found his name in a proposed trade. As did former No. 3 overall pick Trevor Bauer.
Here's the trade:
Arizona Diamondbacks trade RF Justin Upton and RHP Trevor Bauer and receive SS Asdrubal Cabrera, RHP Vinnie Pestano and OF Michael Saunders
Cleveland Indians trade SS Asdrubal Cabrera, OF Shin-Soo Choo and RHP Vinnie Pestano and receive RHP Trevor Bauer, LHP Danny Hultzen and RHP Hector Noesi
Seattle Mariners trade LHP Danny Hultzen, OF Michael Saunders and RHP Hector Noesi and receive RF Justin Upton and OF Shin-Soo Choo
Like was said earlier, this was just done on a whim but a baseball writer trying to have fun over the holidays.
Although, it does seem he's convinced in the deal's feasibility.
OK, we couldn't avoid Upton and there's nothing more creative than a good three-way deal. This trade works for all three teams. The D-backs get the shortstop they need and also part ways with Bauer, whom ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick reported earlier "has fallen out of favor" with some in the organization. Saunders gives them a starting outfielder to hedge against the production of Gerardo Parra and prospect Adam Eaton and Pestano provides a killer right-hander for the bullpen alongside J.J. Putz and David Hernandez.
Despite Schoenfield's best laid intentions, from an analysis standpoint, the trade doesn't seem that realistic for Arizona. The team would be giving up their star right fielder and a potential future No. 1 on their staff for a talented shortstop, right-handed reliever (which they already have a surplus of) and a fringe starting outfielder.
Here's hoping your shopping brought about more bargains than this trade would bring the Diamondbacks.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer