Updated Nov 23, 2012 - 11:09 am
Diamondbacks sign first baseman Kila Ka'aihue
But over the Thanksgiving holiday, general manager Kevin Towers added some insurance behind Goldschmidt going into the 2013 season.
Arizona agreed to terms on a minor-league deal with 28-year-old Kila Ka'aihue.
The Hawaiian first baseman spent of part of the 2012 season -- 4 HR and 14 RBI in 128 plate appearances -- with the Oakland Athletics before being designated for assignment in June.
Ka'aihue was drafted in the 15h round of the 2002 amateur draft by the Kansas Royals, and spent the first four years of his professional career with the organization from 2008-2011.
After being designated for assignment last season, the six-foot-four left-handed batter hit .256 with 15 home runs in sixty-six games.
The Diamondbacks used Lyle Overbay and Mike Jacobs to back up Goldschmidt a season ago, although the second-year first baseman played in 145 games.
- Gerardo Parra's Arizona Diamondbacks career: By the Numbers
- Martin Prado: By the Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks call up Andy Marte and Roger Kieschnick from Triple-A Reno
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Martin Prado to New York Yankees
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.