Olney: Marlins talked with D-backs about Reyes
Before the megatrade was made, the Marlins talked with the D-Backs about shortstop Jose Reyes as they assessed the market.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) November 15, 2012
With so many young prospects in their farm system and a desperate need for a shortstop, the pieces were certainly in place for the D-backs to make a move for the Reyes.
Arizona would most likely have had to include a top prospect or two in any deal with the Marlins. One of the options could have been Trevor Bauer, which may not have been a problem since numerous reports are stating the D-backs are looking to move the young hurler.
For whatever reason the trade didn't happen, leaving the D-backs with newly acquired shortstop Cliff Pennington to go along with John McDonald and Willie Bloomquist at the position.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday May 23Timmy gives us insider insight into this week's top MLB headlines.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.