Updated Nov 16, 2012 - 12:12 pm
Olney: Marlins talked with D-backs about Reyes
Before the megatrade was made, the Marlins talked with the D-Backs about shortstop Jose Reyes as they assessed the market.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) November 15, 2012
With so many young prospects in their farm system and a desperate need for a shortstop, the pieces were certainly in place for the D-backs to make a move for the Reyes.
Arizona would most likely have had to include a top prospect or two in any deal with the Marlins. One of the options could have been Trevor Bauer, which may not have been a problem since numerous reports are stating the D-backs are looking to move the young hurler.
For whatever reason the trade didn't happen, leaving the D-backs with newly acquired shortstop Cliff Pennington to go along with John McDonald and Willie Bloomquist at the position.
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Mark Trumbo: By the numbers
- Mark Trumbo has weaknesses, but he's a good fit with the Diamondbacks
- Mark Trumbo to Diamondbacks in 3-team trade
- Mark Trumbo looking forward to new opportunity with Arizona Diamondbacks
- In final year of Gibson, Towers' contracts, D-backs going all in
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.