Updated Nov 6, 2012 - 11:39 am
D-backs emulating Giants' championship blueprint
And no team is closer to the Giants' brand of baseball than the Arizona Diamondbacks.
When you look at the Giants roster it is littered with homegrown pitchers. Matt Cain, Tim Lincecum, Ryan Vogelsong and Madison Bumgarner are all homegrown, all drafted by San Francisico. Closer Sergio Romo is also homegrown. The only starting pitcher on the Giants' playoff roster not drafted by San Francisco was Barry Zito, who signed as a free agent in December of 2006.
Now look at the Diamondbacks' potential starters going forward -- Wade Miley, Trevor Bauer and Archie Bradley were all drafted by Arizona in the first round. Tyler Skaggs was a first-round selection of the Angels and Patrick Corbin was a second-round pick by Anaheim, but both of those players are being developed in Arizona after being traded to the Diamondbacks when they were minor leaguers. Ian Kennedy was also a first-round pick, by the New York Yankees, but traded to Arizona after just a few years in the Yankees system. Daniel Hudson also got his feet wet with another organization, the Chicago White Sox, which drafted him in the fifth round. But like Kennedy, he is a true Diamondback, getting his shot with Arizona after being traded.
There are other similarities between San Francisco and Arizona. The heart and soul of the Giants and one of their leaders is catcher Buster Posey, who was a first-round draft pick of the Giants (fifth overall) in 2008. The Diamondbacks counter with Justin Upton, the top overall pick in the 2005 draft.
Both teams have star homegrown players who went undrafted -- the Giants' Pablo Sandoval and the D-backs' Miguel Montero.
So while many teams will look at the Giants blueprint and try to copy it, Arizona is already there.
- D-backs GM: Archie Bradley has chance to be 'special in a hurry'
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks have not signed reliever Jose Valverde to minor-league deal
- Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers: 'There will be competition' for closer spot
- Report: RHP Addison Reed could be flipped for future trade
- D-backs swap IF Matt Davidson for White Sox RHP Addison Reed
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.