D-backs manager says Alex Rodriguez has 'a lot' left
D-backs fans were treated to a constant carousel at the hot corner that saw Ryan Roberts, Josh Bell, Chris Johnson, Ryan Wheeler and Cody Ransom all start 20-plus games. Geoff Blum also saw time at third base. In total they went on to hit a combined .239 with 21 home runs and 110 runs batted in.
The answer to their problem might come in the form of New York Yankee Alex Rodriguez. Following a playoff performance that saw Rodriguez go 3-for-27 with 12 strikeouts, reports have come out that the Yankees might look to move the polarizing slugger.
"I think there will certainly be interest," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson told Arizona Sport 620's Burns and Gambo when asked about the D-backs possibly pursuing Rodriguez.
Gibson, who said he's not exactly the right guy to talk to about any possible interest from the Diamondbacks, does think there are more good seasons left in Rodriguez.
"It happens with players all the time throughout the history of the game. Guys think they're washed up, they go somewhere else to get a breath of fresh air, revitalize themselves and they have quite a few years left in them," said Gibson. "It happened to me when I was getting older. My career guys were questioning whether my bat was fast enough. You have to deal with it. There's a lot left, I think, in Alex Rodriguez."
But obtaining Rodriguez might be easier said than done, as he is due to make $114 million over the next five years. Not to mention he has a no trade clause in his contract. If the Yankees are willing to eat a huge chunk of that contract and the right situation presents itself, fans could see the D-backs throw their name into the hat as potential suitors for the former MVP.
"Well I think he's struggling that's self explanatory. I see a lot of mentality problems right now and I think it's been a real tough postseason," said Gibson. "I think he certainly has the opportunity to come back and play well -- given the opportunity."
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!