Updated Oct 3, 2012 - 3:46 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks owner: Justin Upton not likely to be traded
It was disappointing for both the team and Upton, and many think a separation may be in the best interest of both parties.
Diamondbacks managing general partner Ken Kendrick, as a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo, said that's not exactly the case.
"I wouldn't think necessarily that he is," Kendrick said when asked if Upton is the bargaining chip the team will use to acquire a shortstop or third baseman. "I'm a big Justin guy and I think Justin, even in a down year, has made real significant contributions to this team."
With one game left, Upton is hitting .276 with 17 home runs and 67 RBI, numbers that are below what he produced last season, and well below what many thought he'd put up this year.
Still, he is just 25 years old and is tied for third in baseball -- and first in the National League -- with 107 runs scored, so it's not as if he's had a completely unproductive campaign.
"Here's a guy that even in a down year, he scored more runs than anybody in the National League," Kendrick noted. "He makes our team go, and so I would think it's highly likely we'll see Justin Upton in a Diamondback uniform next year."
After all, he said GM Kevin Towers and the rest of the staff have a responsibility to look at the entire team, evaluate the season, and figure out how to get the D-backs back to the postseason.
"It's Kevin's nature, and I support this very much, that you just flat don't say no, ever, to any opportunity," Kendrick said. "Are we going to go out and 'shop' Justin Upton? I think not."
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.