Updated Oct 3, 2012 - 3:46 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks owner: Justin Upton not likely to be traded
It was disappointing for both the team and Upton, and many think a separation may be in the best interest of both parties.
Diamondbacks managing general partner Ken Kendrick, as a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo, said that's not exactly the case.
"I wouldn't think necessarily that he is," Kendrick said when asked if Upton is the bargaining chip the team will use to acquire a shortstop or third baseman. "I'm a big Justin guy and I think Justin, even in a down year, has made real significant contributions to this team."
With one game left, Upton is hitting .276 with 17 home runs and 67 RBI, numbers that are below what he produced last season, and well below what many thought he'd put up this year.
Still, he is just 25 years old and is tied for third in baseball -- and first in the National League -- with 107 runs scored, so it's not as if he's had a completely unproductive campaign.
"Here's a guy that even in a down year, he scored more runs than anybody in the National League," Kendrick noted. "He makes our team go, and so I would think it's highly likely we'll see Justin Upton in a Diamondback uniform next year."
After all, he said GM Kevin Towers and the rest of the staff have a responsibility to look at the entire team, evaluate the season, and figure out how to get the D-backs back to the postseason.
"It's Kevin's nature, and I support this very much, that you just flat don't say no, ever, to any opportunity," Kendrick said. "Are we going to go out and 'shop' Justin Upton? I think not."
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.