Updated Jul 30, 2012 - 9:29 am
D-backs acquire 3B Chris Johnson from Astros
The Arizona Diamondbacks have acquired third baseman Chris Johnson from the Houston Astros in exchange for minor league outfielders Marc Krauss and Bobby Borchering.
"If you look at his numbers they've been pretty consisent numbers over the years," D-backs General Manager Kevin Towers said. "He's got power and I think this ballpark will help him."
The 27-year-old third baseman hit .279 with eight home runs and 41 RBI in 92 games with Houston this season. He ranked second on the Astros in RBI and third in batting average.
"A lot of people talk about his similarity to [San Diego Padres third baseman Chase] Headley, except he's not a switch-hitter," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said before Sunday's game against the Mets. "He's had a pretty good season and he's still fairly young. We see a lot of potential in him."
The D-backs, who have struggled to find the answer at the hot corner this season, hope Johnson can fill the void going forward.
"We believe he's going to help us obviously, make us a stronger and better team," Gibson said. "There's room for improvement. We like to think if we could plug him into a good environment that he would get even better."
Krauss hit .283 with 15 home runs and 61 RBI in 104 games with Double-A Mobile, while Borchering combined to hit .247 with 20 longballs and 68 RBIs in 102 games between Single-A Visalia and Double-A Mobile.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.