Updated Jul 30, 2012 - 9:29 am
D-backs acquire 3B Chris Johnson from Astros
The Arizona Diamondbacks have acquired third baseman Chris Johnson from the Houston Astros in exchange for minor league outfielders Marc Krauss and Bobby Borchering.
"If you look at his numbers they've been pretty consisent numbers over the years," D-backs General Manager Kevin Towers said. "He's got power and I think this ballpark will help him."
The 27-year-old third baseman hit .279 with eight home runs and 41 RBI in 92 games with Houston this season. He ranked second on the Astros in RBI and third in batting average.
"A lot of people talk about his similarity to [San Diego Padres third baseman Chase] Headley, except he's not a switch-hitter," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said before Sunday's game against the Mets. "He's had a pretty good season and he's still fairly young. We see a lot of potential in him."
The D-backs, who have struggled to find the answer at the hot corner this season, hope Johnson can fill the void going forward.
"We believe he's going to help us obviously, make us a stronger and better team," Gibson said. "There's room for improvement. We like to think if we could plug him into a good environment that he would get even better."
Krauss hit .283 with 15 home runs and 61 RBI in 104 games with Double-A Mobile, while Borchering combined to hit .247 with 20 longballs and 68 RBIs in 102 games between Single-A Visalia and Double-A Mobile.
- Does Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Trevor Cahill pitch better when Tuffy Gosewisch is catching?
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.