Updated Jul 30, 2012 - 9:29 am
D-backs acquire 3B Chris Johnson from Astros
The Arizona Diamondbacks have acquired third baseman Chris Johnson from the Houston Astros in exchange for minor league outfielders Marc Krauss and Bobby Borchering.
"If you look at his numbers they've been pretty consisent numbers over the years," D-backs General Manager Kevin Towers said. "He's got power and I think this ballpark will help him."
The 27-year-old third baseman hit .279 with eight home runs and 41 RBI in 92 games with Houston this season. He ranked second on the Astros in RBI and third in batting average.
"A lot of people talk about his similarity to [San Diego Padres third baseman Chase] Headley, except he's not a switch-hitter," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said before Sunday's game against the Mets. "He's had a pretty good season and he's still fairly young. We see a lot of potential in him."
The D-backs, who have struggled to find the answer at the hot corner this season, hope Johnson can fill the void going forward.
"We believe he's going to help us obviously, make us a stronger and better team," Gibson said. "There's room for improvement. We like to think if we could plug him into a good environment that he would get even better."
Krauss hit .283 with 15 home runs and 61 RBI in 104 games with Double-A Mobile, while Borchering combined to hit .247 with 20 longballs and 68 RBIs in 102 games between Single-A Visalia and Double-A Mobile.
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.