Updated Jul 17, 2012 - 9:58 am
Rumor: Tigers have interest in D-backs' Drew, Roberts
And, with the Diamondbacks still sputtering along and likely looking to make some deals, their players will be oft- mentioned in rumors.
Like, for instance, this report from FoxSports.com's John Morosi, which states the Detroit Tigers are interested in both Stephen Drew and Ryan Roberts.
It's not clear how advanced the talks are, but sources say there has been dialogue between the clubs on scenarios involving one or both players.
Drew is hitting .233 since returning from a horrific ankle injury last month, and may need to prove to Detroit -- and other possible suitors -- that he is healthy enough to be counted on every day. A solid player, the D-backs are almost certain to decline Drew's option for next season, making him a free agent.
Thus, they may be inclined to move him now and get something in return.
Roberts, on the other hand, has been nothing close to the player he was last season, as he's hitting just .239 with six home runs and 32 RBI. He seems to have lost his hold on the third base job, but still has value in a utility role for a contender.
Morosi speculates the D-backs could be interested in Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta, who is 30 years old and hitting .267 this season.
The Tigers hold a $6 million club option on Peralta for next year. It is possible the Diamondbacks will ask for him in trade discussions, since he could address their need for a shortstop or third baseman next year. Peralta has been a better offensive player than Drew or Roberts this year, totaling a .745 OPS in 81 games.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.