Updated Jul 17, 2012 - 9:58 am
Rumor: Tigers have interest in D-backs' Drew, Roberts
And, with the Diamondbacks still sputtering along and likely looking to make some deals, their players will be oft- mentioned in rumors.
Like, for instance, this report from FoxSports.com's John Morosi, which states the Detroit Tigers are interested in both Stephen Drew and Ryan Roberts.
It's not clear how advanced the talks are, but sources say there has been dialogue between the clubs on scenarios involving one or both players.
Drew is hitting .233 since returning from a horrific ankle injury last month, and may need to prove to Detroit -- and other possible suitors -- that he is healthy enough to be counted on every day. A solid player, the D-backs are almost certain to decline Drew's option for next season, making him a free agent.
Thus, they may be inclined to move him now and get something in return.
Roberts, on the other hand, has been nothing close to the player he was last season, as he's hitting just .239 with six home runs and 32 RBI. He seems to have lost his hold on the third base job, but still has value in a utility role for a contender.
Morosi speculates the D-backs could be interested in Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta, who is 30 years old and hitting .267 this season.
The Tigers hold a $6 million club option on Peralta for next year. It is possible the Diamondbacks will ask for him in trade discussions, since he could address their need for a shortstop or third baseman next year. Peralta has been a better offensive player than Drew or Roberts this year, totaling a .745 OPS in 81 games.
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest outing
- Wood homers, allows 1 run in Cubs' win
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.