Updated Jul 17, 2012 - 9:58 am
Rumor: Tigers have interest in D-backs' Drew, Roberts
And, with the Diamondbacks still sputtering along and likely looking to make some deals, their players will be oft- mentioned in rumors.
Like, for instance, this report from FoxSports.com's John Morosi, which states the Detroit Tigers are interested in both Stephen Drew and Ryan Roberts.
It's not clear how advanced the talks are, but sources say there has been dialogue between the clubs on scenarios involving one or both players.
Drew is hitting .233 since returning from a horrific ankle injury last month, and may need to prove to Detroit -- and other possible suitors -- that he is healthy enough to be counted on every day. A solid player, the D-backs are almost certain to decline Drew's option for next season, making him a free agent.
Thus, they may be inclined to move him now and get something in return.
Roberts, on the other hand, has been nothing close to the player he was last season, as he's hitting just .239 with six home runs and 32 RBI. He seems to have lost his hold on the third base job, but still has value in a utility role for a contender.
Morosi speculates the D-backs could be interested in Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta, who is 30 years old and hitting .267 this season.
The Tigers hold a $6 million club option on Peralta for next year. It is possible the Diamondbacks will ask for him in trade discussions, since he could address their need for a shortstop or third baseman next year. Peralta has been a better offensive player than Drew or Roberts this year, totaling a .745 OPS in 81 games.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.