Updated Jul 17, 2012 - 9:58 am
Rumor: Tigers have interest in D-backs' Drew, Roberts
And, with the Diamondbacks still sputtering along and likely looking to make some deals, their players will be oft- mentioned in rumors.
Like, for instance, this report from FoxSports.com's John Morosi, which states the Detroit Tigers are interested in both Stephen Drew and Ryan Roberts.
It's not clear how advanced the talks are, but sources say there has been dialogue between the clubs on scenarios involving one or both players.
Drew is hitting .233 since returning from a horrific ankle injury last month, and may need to prove to Detroit -- and other possible suitors -- that he is healthy enough to be counted on every day. A solid player, the D-backs are almost certain to decline Drew's option for next season, making him a free agent.
Thus, they may be inclined to move him now and get something in return.
Roberts, on the other hand, has been nothing close to the player he was last season, as he's hitting just .239 with six home runs and 32 RBI. He seems to have lost his hold on the third base job, but still has value in a utility role for a contender.
Morosi speculates the D-backs could be interested in Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta, who is 30 years old and hitting .267 this season.
The Tigers hold a $6 million club option on Peralta for next year. It is possible the Diamondbacks will ask for him in trade discussions, since he could address their need for a shortstop or third baseman next year. Peralta has been a better offensive player than Drew or Roberts this year, totaling a .745 OPS in 81 games.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?