Updated Jul 17, 2012 - 9:58 am
Rumor: Tigers have interest in D-backs' Drew, Roberts
And, with the Diamondbacks still sputtering along and likely looking to make some deals, their players will be oft- mentioned in rumors.
Like, for instance, this report from FoxSports.com's John Morosi, which states the Detroit Tigers are interested in both Stephen Drew and Ryan Roberts.
It's not clear how advanced the talks are, but sources say there has been dialogue between the clubs on scenarios involving one or both players.
Drew is hitting .233 since returning from a horrific ankle injury last month, and may need to prove to Detroit -- and other possible suitors -- that he is healthy enough to be counted on every day. A solid player, the D-backs are almost certain to decline Drew's option for next season, making him a free agent.
Thus, they may be inclined to move him now and get something in return.
Roberts, on the other hand, has been nothing close to the player he was last season, as he's hitting just .239 with six home runs and 32 RBI. He seems to have lost his hold on the third base job, but still has value in a utility role for a contender.
Morosi speculates the D-backs could be interested in Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta, who is 30 years old and hitting .267 this season.
The Tigers hold a $6 million club option on Peralta for next year. It is possible the Diamondbacks will ask for him in trade discussions, since he could address their need for a shortstop or third baseman next year. Peralta has been a better offensive player than Drew or Roberts this year, totaling a .745 OPS in 81 games.
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.