Updated Jun 27, 2012 - 9:39 pm
Drew makes 2012 debut with Diamondbacks
Drew went 1-for-4 while batting second in the line-up. He reached base off of a single in the fourth inning, and with a bit of aggressive base running slid head first into to second base after a throwing error by right fielder Jason Heyward on the play. He advance to third on a Justin Upton ground out, but was unable to score in the inning.
In the field Drew look comfortable, but was involved in one mishap that was eventually ruled an error by pitcher Trevor Cahill. Cahill attempted to throw out Freddie Freeman, who was going to second on a groundball. The throw hit Drew's glove and was arguably a playable ball, but was well off the bag and rolled into shallow center field. Chipper Jones advanced from third on the play to score, and the Braves would end up scoring two more in that inning.
The Diamondbacks went on to lose the game 6-4.
Drew has been sidelined since last July after suffering a right ankle injury sliding into home against the Milwaukee Brewers. He played in 11 games in the minor leagues and batted .244 with two home runs and five runs batted in this season before being called up.
His three other at-bats Wednesday night were unsuccessful, but seeing Drew reach on a single and make an aggressive move on the base paths is a good sign for the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.