Updated Jun 27, 2012 - 9:39 pm
Drew makes 2012 debut with Diamondbacks
Drew went 1-for-4 while batting second in the line-up. He reached base off of a single in the fourth inning, and with a bit of aggressive base running slid head first into to second base after a throwing error by right fielder Jason Heyward on the play. He advance to third on a Justin Upton ground out, but was unable to score in the inning.
In the field Drew look comfortable, but was involved in one mishap that was eventually ruled an error by pitcher Trevor Cahill. Cahill attempted to throw out Freddie Freeman, who was going to second on a groundball. The throw hit Drew's glove and was arguably a playable ball, but was well off the bag and rolled into shallow center field. Chipper Jones advanced from third on the play to score, and the Braves would end up scoring two more in that inning.
The Diamondbacks went on to lose the game 6-4.
Drew has been sidelined since last July after suffering a right ankle injury sliding into home against the Milwaukee Brewers. He played in 11 games in the minor leagues and batted .244 with two home runs and five runs batted in this season before being called up.
His three other at-bats Wednesday night were unsuccessful, but seeing Drew reach on a single and make an aggressive move on the base paths is a good sign for the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.