Updated Jun 27, 2012 - 9:39 pm
Drew makes 2012 debut with Diamondbacks
Drew went 1-for-4 while batting second in the line-up. He reached base off of a single in the fourth inning, and with a bit of aggressive base running slid head first into to second base after a throwing error by right fielder Jason Heyward on the play. He advance to third on a Justin Upton ground out, but was unable to score in the inning.
In the field Drew look comfortable, but was involved in one mishap that was eventually ruled an error by pitcher Trevor Cahill. Cahill attempted to throw out Freddie Freeman, who was going to second on a groundball. The throw hit Drew's glove and was arguably a playable ball, but was well off the bag and rolled into shallow center field. Chipper Jones advanced from third on the play to score, and the Braves would end up scoring two more in that inning.
The Diamondbacks went on to lose the game 6-4.
Drew has been sidelined since last July after suffering a right ankle injury sliding into home against the Milwaukee Brewers. He played in 11 games in the minor leagues and batted .244 with two home runs and five runs batted in this season before being called up.
His three other at-bats Wednesday night were unsuccessful, but seeing Drew reach on a single and make an aggressive move on the base paths is a good sign for the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.