Updated Jun 27, 2012 - 9:39 pm
Drew makes 2012 debut with Diamondbacks
Drew went 1-for-4 while batting second in the line-up. He reached base off of a single in the fourth inning, and with a bit of aggressive base running slid head first into to second base after a throwing error by right fielder Jason Heyward on the play. He advance to third on a Justin Upton ground out, but was unable to score in the inning.
In the field Drew look comfortable, but was involved in one mishap that was eventually ruled an error by pitcher Trevor Cahill. Cahill attempted to throw out Freddie Freeman, who was going to second on a groundball. The throw hit Drew's glove and was arguably a playable ball, but was well off the bag and rolled into shallow center field. Chipper Jones advanced from third on the play to score, and the Braves would end up scoring two more in that inning.
The Diamondbacks went on to lose the game 6-4.
Drew has been sidelined since last July after suffering a right ankle injury sliding into home against the Milwaukee Brewers. He played in 11 games in the minor leagues and batted .244 with two home runs and five runs batted in this season before being called up.
His three other at-bats Wednesday night were unsuccessful, but seeing Drew reach on a single and make an aggressive move on the base paths is a good sign for the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.