Updated Jun 21, 2012 - 11:25 am
D-backs GM says Stephen Drew could return Wednesday in Atlanta
The Diamondbacks shortstop, who is currently playing in Triple-A Reno in an effort to get back to the big leagues, is hitting .250 in 32 at bats for the Aces, and even homered Wednesday night in what was his second-consecutive game.
Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf he thinks Drew will be heading home to Atlanta for a bit due to a death in the family, which lines up pretty well with the Diamondbacks' schedule.
After all, they begin a road series against the Braves on June 26.
"We talked about maybe having him play a game or two in Mobile since we're on the East Coast, I think our trainer was going to talk to him about that," Towers said. "And then hopefully activate him on Wednesday."
So if all goes according to plan Drew will play a few more minor league games before getting the call to the big leagues.
Drew has not played in a game for the Diamondbacks since breaking his right ankle sliding into home July 20.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.