D-backs GM says Stephen Drew could return Wednesday in Atlanta
The Diamondbacks shortstop, who is currently playing in Triple-A Reno in an effort to get back to the big leagues, is hitting .250 in 32 at bats for the Aces, and even homered Wednesday night in what was his second-consecutive game.
Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf he thinks Drew will be heading home to Atlanta for a bit due to a death in the family, which lines up pretty well with the Diamondbacks' schedule.
After all, they begin a road series against the Braves on June 26.
"We talked about maybe having him play a game or two in Mobile since we're on the East Coast, I think our trainer was going to talk to him about that," Towers said. "And then hopefully activate him on Wednesday."
So if all goes according to plan Drew will play a few more minor league games before getting the call to the big leagues.
Drew has not played in a game for the Diamondbacks since breaking his right ankle sliding into home July 20.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!