Updated Jun 21, 2012 - 11:25 am
D-backs GM says Stephen Drew could return Wednesday in Atlanta
The Diamondbacks shortstop, who is currently playing in Triple-A Reno in an effort to get back to the big leagues, is hitting .250 in 32 at bats for the Aces, and even homered Wednesday night in what was his second-consecutive game.
Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf he thinks Drew will be heading home to Atlanta for a bit due to a death in the family, which lines up pretty well with the Diamondbacks' schedule.
After all, they begin a road series against the Braves on June 26.
"We talked about maybe having him play a game or two in Mobile since we're on the East Coast, I think our trainer was going to talk to him about that," Towers said. "And then hopefully activate him on Wednesday."
So if all goes according to plan Drew will play a few more minor league games before getting the call to the big leagues.
Drew has not played in a game for the Diamondbacks since breaking his right ankle sliding into home July 20.
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.