Updated Jun 21, 2012 - 11:25 am
D-backs GM says Stephen Drew could return Wednesday in Atlanta
The Diamondbacks shortstop, who is currently playing in Triple-A Reno in an effort to get back to the big leagues, is hitting .250 in 32 at bats for the Aces, and even homered Wednesday night in what was his second-consecutive game.
Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf he thinks Drew will be heading home to Atlanta for a bit due to a death in the family, which lines up pretty well with the Diamondbacks' schedule.
After all, they begin a road series against the Braves on June 26.
"We talked about maybe having him play a game or two in Mobile since we're on the East Coast, I think our trainer was going to talk to him about that," Towers said. "And then hopefully activate him on Wednesday."
So if all goes according to plan Drew will play a few more minor league games before getting the call to the big leagues.
Drew has not played in a game for the Diamondbacks since breaking his right ankle sliding into home July 20.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.