Updated Jun 20, 2012 - 9:41 pm
D-backs' GM weighs in on Ryan Roberts' ups and downs
After struggling through an abysmal April, Roberts has seemingly found his stride offensively over the past two months. While his contributions with the bat haven't gone unnoticed, D-backs General Manager Kevin Towers has been concerned with the decline of his third baseman's play at the hot corner.
"I think probably the one area I've been most disappointed in is the defense went a little bit south from last year," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Show Wednesday." Last year he played a very good third base over there. I think offensively he's been very good the last four to six weeks. So the defense could continue to improve."
While Roberts' seven errors in the field have certainly cast a shadow over the third baseman's improved production at the plate, Towers knows the effort and tenacity is there.
"He plays hard," Towers said. "I think that's what you love about his style of play. That's the way he was last year, too. Ryan plays with his hair on fire, hard as he can, sometimes to his detriment.
Good things often happen for Roberts and the D-backs when he's swinging the bat well and if his recent success at the plate is any indicator, the club could stand to feed off his heroics.
"If there's somebody that's going to hit a big home run for us to win it, it's Ryan Roberts," Towers said. "He finds a way to come up with the big hits when you need it."
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.