Updated Jun 20, 2012 - 9:41 pm
D-backs' GM weighs in on Ryan Roberts' ups and downs
After struggling through an abysmal April, Roberts has seemingly found his stride offensively over the past two months. While his contributions with the bat haven't gone unnoticed, D-backs General Manager Kevin Towers has been concerned with the decline of his third baseman's play at the hot corner.
"I think probably the one area I've been most disappointed in is the defense went a little bit south from last year," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Show Wednesday." Last year he played a very good third base over there. I think offensively he's been very good the last four to six weeks. So the defense could continue to improve."
While Roberts' seven errors in the field have certainly cast a shadow over the third baseman's improved production at the plate, Towers knows the effort and tenacity is there.
"He plays hard," Towers said. "I think that's what you love about his style of play. That's the way he was last year, too. Ryan plays with his hair on fire, hard as he can, sometimes to his detriment.
Good things often happen for Roberts and the D-backs when he's swinging the bat well and if his recent success at the plate is any indicator, the club could stand to feed off his heroics.
"If there's somebody that's going to hit a big home run for us to win it, it's Ryan Roberts," Towers said. "He finds a way to come up with the big hits when you need it."
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Diamondbacks reinstate Cody Ross; designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.