Updated Jun 20, 2012 - 9:41 pm
D-backs' GM weighs in on Ryan Roberts' ups and downs
After struggling through an abysmal April, Roberts has seemingly found his stride offensively over the past two months. While his contributions with the bat haven't gone unnoticed, D-backs General Manager Kevin Towers has been concerned with the decline of his third baseman's play at the hot corner.
"I think probably the one area I've been most disappointed in is the defense went a little bit south from last year," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Show Wednesday." Last year he played a very good third base over there. I think offensively he's been very good the last four to six weeks. So the defense could continue to improve."
While Roberts' seven errors in the field have certainly cast a shadow over the third baseman's improved production at the plate, Towers knows the effort and tenacity is there.
"He plays hard," Towers said. "I think that's what you love about his style of play. That's the way he was last year, too. Ryan plays with his hair on fire, hard as he can, sometimes to his detriment.
Good things often happen for Roberts and the D-backs when he's swinging the bat well and if his recent success at the plate is any indicator, the club could stand to feed off his heroics.
"If there's somebody that's going to hit a big home run for us to win it, it's Ryan Roberts," Towers said. "He finds a way to come up with the big hits when you need it."
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.