Updated Jun 20, 2012 - 9:25 pm
D-backs' GM Towers: 'We're going to make the playoffs'
Arizona Diamondbacks General Manager Kevin Towers' confidence in his club is contagious. He still believes wholeheartedly in his team's chances to put together a run and make the playoffs.
He is willing to go on record and state the D-backs will, in fact, play October baseball.
"I think we're as good as anybody in the west, and knock on wood but I'll stick my head out there, but we're going to make the playoffs," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Show Wednesday. "We got a run in us and it's going to happen."
Despite the fact the D-backs currently find themselves in third place in the NL West, one game below .500 at 34-35 on the season, Towers feels in his gut his current crop of players have what it takes to get back on the winning track.
"I am waiting for this team just to go," Towers said. "I still believe that it's a better club then it was last year.
"I am really just kind of waiting for the boys to kind of take over and do what I felt they were going to do this winter."
While Towers is open to improving his club if the right piece becomes available, he thinks the D-backs can right the ship with the personnel already in-house.
"I really kind of believe we have it here," Towers said. "I've kind of looked externally and I don't really see difference makers that are out there from the outside."
Towers and his staff did their due diligence beefing up the talent and depth of the team this past offseason with the addition of outfielder Jason Kubel and re-signing starting pitcher Joe Saunders. The D-backs general manager is still hopeful those moves will prove fruitful and help propel his club into making a legitimate playoff push.
"I am going to stick with these guys right here," Towers stated. "My neck is in the noose with them. We are either going to win together or we're going to lose together.
"I believe in the personalities that we have in the clubhouse. I still like the vibe down there. I still believe that these guys are going to be a band of brothers and rally together and find a way when it really counts."
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Mets complete sweep of Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks are no easy fix, but who should get the chance?
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.