Updated Jun 20, 2012 - 9:25 pm
D-backs' GM Towers: 'We're going to make the playoffs'
Arizona Diamondbacks General Manager Kevin Towers' confidence in his club is contagious. He still believes wholeheartedly in his team's chances to put together a run and make the playoffs.
He is willing to go on record and state the D-backs will, in fact, play October baseball.
"I think we're as good as anybody in the west, and knock on wood but I'll stick my head out there, but we're going to make the playoffs," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Show Wednesday. "We got a run in us and it's going to happen."
Despite the fact the D-backs currently find themselves in third place in the NL West, one game below .500 at 34-35 on the season, Towers feels in his gut his current crop of players have what it takes to get back on the winning track.
"I am waiting for this team just to go," Towers said. "I still believe that it's a better club then it was last year.
"I am really just kind of waiting for the boys to kind of take over and do what I felt they were going to do this winter."
While Towers is open to improving his club if the right piece becomes available, he thinks the D-backs can right the ship with the personnel already in-house.
"I really kind of believe we have it here," Towers said. "I've kind of looked externally and I don't really see difference makers that are out there from the outside."
Towers and his staff did their due diligence beefing up the talent and depth of the team this past offseason with the addition of outfielder Jason Kubel and re-signing starting pitcher Joe Saunders. The D-backs general manager is still hopeful those moves will prove fruitful and help propel his club into making a legitimate playoff push.
"I am going to stick with these guys right here," Towers stated. "My neck is in the noose with them. We are either going to win together or we're going to lose together.
"I believe in the personalities that we have in the clubhouse. I still like the vibe down there. I still believe that these guys are going to be a band of brothers and rally together and find a way when it really counts."
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?