Phoenix Suns acquiring assets while producing a 'great product'
Armed with three first-round draft picks, they selected North Carolina State scorer T.J. Warren, Syracuse point guard Tyler Ennis and Serbian swingman Bogdan Bogdanovic.
Flush with cap space, the team has thus far re-signed P.J. Tucker and added point guard Isaiah Thomas and forward Anthony Tolliver, while losing forward Channing Frye and waiving guard Ish Smith.
All that makes for a disappointing summer, right? Not exactly.
According to ESPN.com's Kevin Arnovitz, the buzz around the Las Vegas Summer League has been that the Suns have had a successful offseason.
It's rare to sit with a team strategist or scout without a reference to the San Antonio Spurs as the model, which has been the case each of the past three summers. So let's set them aside, because this is the closest subjective opinion to empirical fact.
More than a couple insiders cited the Phoenix Suns as a managerial success. "They keep acquiring high-value assets," said one general manger, "But the big thing is that they're putting a great product on the floor while they do it. A lot of people in our business forget that part of the job."
The Suns still have to come to a resolution with restricted free agent Eric Bledsoe, and given that they still have plenty of draft picks and cap space may not be quite done making moves.
But if they are, it would seem the team that surprised the NBA by winning 48 games last season is still very much on the path that had people excited about them to begin with.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.