Phoenix Suns acquiring assets while producing a 'great product'
Armed with three first-round draft picks, they selected North Carolina State scorer T.J. Warren, Syracuse point guard Tyler Ennis and Serbian swingman Bogdan Bogdanovic.
Flush with cap space, the team has thus far re-signed P.J. Tucker and added point guard Isaiah Thomas and forward Anthony Tolliver, while losing forward Channing Frye and waiving guard Ish Smith.
All that makes for a disappointing summer, right? Not exactly.
According to ESPN.com's Kevin Arnovitz, the buzz around the Las Vegas Summer League has been that the Suns have had a successful offseason.
It's rare to sit with a team strategist or scout without a reference to the San Antonio Spurs as the model, which has been the case each of the past three summers. So let's set them aside, because this is the closest subjective opinion to empirical fact.
More than a couple insiders cited the Phoenix Suns as a managerial success. "They keep acquiring high-value assets," said one general manger, "But the big thing is that they're putting a great product on the floor while they do it. A lot of people in our business forget that part of the job."
The Suns still have to come to a resolution with restricted free agent Eric Bledsoe, and given that they still have plenty of draft picks and cap space may not be quite done making moves.
But if they are, it would seem the team that surprised the NBA by winning 48 games last season is still very much on the path that had people excited about them to begin with.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Phoenix Suns GM on Eric Bledsoe: 'I think he will be back at the end of the day'
- Phoenix Suns go all in on two point-guard lineups
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.
- Chris Broussard, ESPN NBA insider - Thursday July 17ESPN NBA insider Chris Broussard gives his take on Eric Bledsoe’s contract situation with the Phoeni