Updated Jul 16, 2014 - 8:13 am
Phoenix Suns agree to contract with forward Anthony Tolliver
RealGM.com was the first to report the Suns have agreed to a two-year, $6 million contract with veteran Anthony Tolliver.
They spoke to Tolliver, who also confirmed the news via his Instagram page.
"It's a great opportunity for me," Tolliver said by phone. "I went into this free agency and it worked out perfectly when Phoenix contacted my agent. With a great nucleus of young players, and the respect I have for Ryan [McDonough], Jeff Hornacek and the entire organization, it's a perfect situation. For me, I want to go in there and help any way I can.
"The Suns are an up tempo team, and when I was with Golden State I had a similar style. I'm able to produce at a high level and this style compares to that Golden State team. I can play the three as well, but my natural position is four, rebounding, hitting open shots. The Suns made it clear I'm coming to play the four. Phoenix is a great city, a great family city."
Suns fans may remember Tolliver, 29, from when he was put on a poster by Amare Stoudemire, but the 6-foot-8, 240-pound forward has carved out a nice career as a stretch-four who can hit from three-point range.
Last season, as a member of the Charlotte Bobcats, Tolliver averaged 6.1 points and 2.6 rebounds while shooting 42 percent from the field and 41 percent from three-point range.
In a six-year career that has included stops in San Antonio, Golden State, Portland, Minnesota, Atlanta and Charlotte, the former Creighton Blue Jay has averaged 6.1 points and 3.7 rebounds in 20 minutes per game. His best statistical season came in 2009-10 with the Warriors, as he averaged 12.3 points and 7.3 rebounds per contest.
According to various reports, several teams including Cleveland, Detroit, San Antonio, Charlotte, Washington and the Los Angeles Clippers had interest in Tolliver.
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Phoenix Suns waive guard Dionte Christmas
- P.J. Tucker and cash deserved
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.