Suns beat writer Coro: 'Limited' number of teams who can pursue Eric Bledsoe
But that doesn't mean Eric Bledsoe, the Phoenix Suns' restricted free agent, has not drawn interest from other teams.
According to AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro, the issue is there is not a large market for his services.
"There's really a limited amount of teams who have the cap space to do the kind of contract he's looking for and need a point guard," Coro told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Tuesday.
Coro brought up the Detroit Pistons, Los Angeles Lakers, Milwaukee Bucks and Dallas Mavericks as potential suitors, but said most of those teams are after other free agents first and will turn their attention to Bledsoe if they miss out on their initial target.
"He's on that next tier and it's not that he still won't get a big offer," Coro said, noting that everyone is kind of waiting on LeBron James and Chris Bosh to sign before they will look at other options. "If teams miss on him, then Bledsoe's that next biggest free agent and maybe they get involved there too."
Bledsoe, 24, is coming off his first full season as a starter. Injuries limited him to just 43 games, but when in the lineup he was a force, averaging 17.7 points, 5.5 assists, 4.7 rebounds and 1.6 steals per game. He shot 47.7 percent from the field and made nearly 36 percent of his three-point attempts.
He was one-half of a dynamic backcourt, and along with Goran Dragic is expected to help lead the Suns to the postseason for the first time since 2010.
Other teams are aware of the Suns' desire to keep him, which is another thing that may be keeping them from extending an offer. As a restricted free agent, any offer sheet Bledsoe signs can be matched by Phoenix.
"If you do an offer sheet to a restricted free agent, now you're money is tied up longer and it could be for naught if the Suns just wind up matching it," Coro said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.