Suns beat writer Coro: 'Limited' number of teams who can pursue Eric Bledsoe
But that doesn't mean Eric Bledsoe, the Phoenix Suns' restricted free agent, has not drawn interest from other teams.
According to AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro, the issue is there is not a large market for his services.
"There's really a limited amount of teams who have the cap space to do the kind of contract he's looking for and need a point guard," Coro told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Tuesday.
Coro brought up the Detroit Pistons, Los Angeles Lakers, Milwaukee Bucks and Dallas Mavericks as potential suitors, but said most of those teams are after other free agents first and will turn their attention to Bledsoe if they miss out on their initial target.
"He's on that next tier and it's not that he still won't get a big offer," Coro said, noting that everyone is kind of waiting on LeBron James and Chris Bosh to sign before they will look at other options. "If teams miss on him, then Bledsoe's that next biggest free agent and maybe they get involved there too."
Bledsoe, 24, is coming off his first full season as a starter. Injuries limited him to just 43 games, but when in the lineup he was a force, averaging 17.7 points, 5.5 assists, 4.7 rebounds and 1.6 steals per game. He shot 47.7 percent from the field and made nearly 36 percent of his three-point attempts.
He was one-half of a dynamic backcourt, and along with Goran Dragic is expected to help lead the Suns to the postseason for the first time since 2010.
Other teams are aware of the Suns' desire to keep him, which is another thing that may be keeping them from extending an offer. As a restricted free agent, any offer sheet Bledsoe signs can be matched by Phoenix.
"If you do an offer sheet to a restricted free agent, now you're money is tied up longer and it could be for naught if the Suns just wind up matching it," Coro said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.