Updated Jul 1, 2014 - 7:22 am
Report: Phoenix Suns are in the market for Pau Gasol
ESPN's Ramona Shelburne tweeted Monday that the Suns are expected to compete with the Atlanta Hawks, Los Angeles Lakers, New York Knicks, Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks and Houston Rockets for the services of big man Pau Gasol, who has played with the Lakers for the last six-plus seasons.
Add two teams to the expected Pau Gasol market: Phoenix and Atlanta. Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, Mavs, Rockets all expected to pursue.— Ramona Shelburne (@ramonashelburne) July 1, 2014
Gasol averaged 17.4 points and 9.7 rebounds in Los Angeles last season, and the Suns were linked to him in trade talks near the trade deadline. Given Channing Frye's possible departure through free agency, it makes sense that the Suns would be in the market for a big man with the ability to score.
The Suns have a plethora of space to maneuver under the salary cap, though a chunk of that is expected to go to Eric Bledsoe. The possible addition of Gasol would add him to a Suns frontcourt that includes the likes of Markieff and Marcus Morris and Miles Plumlee.
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.