Phoenix Suns GM: Glad we didn't trade up in NBA Draft
For the most part, they fail.
Some picks make sense, others do not. There are also always a handful of trades.
It was believed that the Phoenix Suns, with a trio of first-round picks and a seeming lack of desire to add three rookies to the roster, were going to be one of the teams that made a deal.
They did not, though that doesn't mean they never came close.
"We certainly considered it, and that's always the challenge," Suns GM Ryan McDonough told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Friday morning. "We did have the pick assets to do it with the 14th, 18th and 27th picks.
"But at the same time, we had a good feeling about the guys we thought were going to be there. And that's the challenge, you never know how it's going to go."
Of course, it's not like the Suns will be adding all three first-round selections to the roster this season. The plan is for Bogdan Bogdanovic, the 27th pick out of Serbia, to continue playing in Europe for the foreseeable future.
But the chance to nab both T.J. Warren and Tyler Ennis was, for all intents and purposes, too good to pass up.
"We had T.J. and Tyler rated a lot higher than they were selected, and we were certainly happy they were there," he said. "In retrospect we're glad we didn't cash out two assets to move up to get one of those guys or somebody like that because we got both of them."
McDonough added that while the team did consider moving up, they were never really close to a deal. Part of the issue was that there was a limit to how high they could get, and unless they could move into the top five or six -- which wasn't an option -- the decision was made that they would be better served staying put.
"Short of that, we had the players rated fairly evenly in kind of that mid to late lottery range."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- An open letter to Eric Bledsoe
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.