Hornacek: Stars separate playoff teams from Suns
When asked what separates playoff teams from the Suns during the Doug and Wolf show on Arizona Sports 98.7, coach Jeff Hornacek said "stars" were the difference.
"All these teams have perennial all-stars," Hornacek said. "We're trying to find those guys. We're trying to develop some of them. We've got a couple guys on the team that might take that next step."
The Suns didn't have an all-star in the 2013-2014 season, but guard Goran Dragic possesses that potential after being named the NBA's Most Improved Player. Dragic scored a career-high 20.3 points per game last season and had 5.9 assists.
Teammate Eric Bledsoe flashed signs of promise as well, scoring 17.7 points and 5.5 assists in 43 games. The Suns still need to focus on re-signing Bledsoe, who is a restricted free agent.
"Most of these teams have one main guy that you can go to all the time when things (are) on the line and have them either make the shot or make a great play," Hornacek said. "We'll find that guy and we'll try to develop (him). We have some promising guys, Goran and Eric and maybe Markieff (Morris)."
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Phoenix Suns waive guard Dionte Christmas
- P.J. Tucker and cash deserved
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.