Phoenix Suns guard Archie Goodwin: Mistakes happen
Even with a full season under his belt with the Phoenix Suns, he has not yet reached his 20s. He will in another two months when he celebrates his 20th birthday on Aug. 17.
In other words, he's young.
He's a kid.
And on occasion kids do something stupid, like get arrested.
"There's nothing to be embarrassed about. Mistakes happen," Goodwin told Arizona Sports this week. "In order for me to grow as a man, I'm going to make mistakes. Like I said, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. It was just a learning step."
Goodwin, the No. 29 overall pick in last year's NBA Draft, was arrested on misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest in his hometown of Little Rock, Ark. earlier this month.
"It's really not much to say about it," he said of the incident that happened outside a skating rink. "At the end of the day, the problem has been resolved and now, I'm just really trying to focus on summer league and getting ready for that."
Resolved, because, according to Goodwin, the charges have been dropped.
"People made so much more of a big deal than what it really was and it made it seem a lot worse than it really was," he said in his first public comments since the arrest. "I don't have to go to court. All of that is taken care of, so now, just like I said, getting back to this and doing basketball, working out here (at US Airways Center) and continuing getting better."
This is a big offseason for Goodwin, who as a rookie appeared in 52 games averaging 3.7 points and 1.7 rebounds in 10.3 minutes and scored a season-high 29 points in the regular season finale at Sacramento.
"(The Suns) reacted (to the arrest) like I thought they should have," he said. "The matter is not as big as people made it out to seem, and so now it's just, like I said, putting it behind me and getting ready for this next upcoming thing (summer league) because I can't let the past affect me."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.