Goran Dragic to participate in 2014 FIBA World Cup
The point guard made official his intentions to play for the Slovenian National Team at the 2014 FIBA World Cup in a press conference Tuesday.
In a press release run through Google Translate, it appears Dragic took his health and the Suns' wishes into account, informing the NBA squad of his intentions before making the official announcement Tuesday.
"This year's NBA season in Phoenix Suns basketball team was both physically and mentally very tough, while I was still plagued by problems with a damaged ankle," Dragic said. "Initially, I really wanted to take the time just to rehabilitation and family, but I've only after one month break, gather strength and easier to take a final decision. Similarly, all the inquiries that I have done recently showed that I'm in perfect physical shape just in time World Cup. Great honor to represent the Slovenian colors and Spain fans unite for mutual success Slovenian national team."
The 28-year-old Dragic is coming off a season in which he averaged 20.3 points, 5.9 assists and 3.2 rebounds. He battled through various injuries to play in 76 games, but was visibly worn down toward the end of the season.
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.