Updated May 15, 2014 - 5:41 pm
Report: Phoenix Suns met with Marcus Smart, Tyler Ennis and Dante Exum
In many cases, it's an opportunity to get to know a player who you may like but has little chance of picking.
But sometimes it may serve to offer clues as to which players a team might be interested. After all, you only have room to interview 18 prospects, so you don't waste time on someone just for the fun of it.
So the fact that the Phoenix Suns, who currently have three picks in the first round, have met with three guards at the combine may serve as a bit of a clue to their intentions.
Dante Exum met with Pistons, 76ers and Suns...— Steve Kyler (@stevekylerNBA) May 15, 2014
Tyler Ennis has met with the Charlotte Bobcats, Sacramento Kings, Phoenix Suns, Oklahoma City Thunder and Denver Nuggets.— Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) May 15, 2014
Marcus Smart has met with the Houston Rockets, Toronto Raptors, Los Angeles Lakers, Phoenix Suns and Denver Nuggets.— Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) May 15, 2014
According to NBADraft.net, Exum, Smart and Ennis are all expected to be lottery picks in June's draft, with Exum and Smart among the first six players taken.
Barring the Suns coming up lucky in next Tuesday's lottery, that will be too early for them to have a chance. However, with as many picks as they do hold, it's always possible they could look to swing a trade and move up in the draft.
But if they did so, would they be after one of the class' best guards? With Goran Dragic on the roster and Eric Bledsoe appearing to be part of the team's long-term plans, it would seem the team would have little need for any of the three.
Then again, Bledsoe is scheduled to become a restricted free agent and, probably even more important than that, it never hurts a team to do its due diligence.
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.