Updated Apr 30, 2014 - 12:29 pm
Senate leader: NFL Redskins should change name
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says it's time for the NFL's Washington Redskins to change their name, linking the issue to racist comments by a professional basketball team owner.
In a Senate speech Wednesday, the Nevada Democrat said Redskins owner Daniel Snyder is hiding behind tradition in retaining his team's name, which critics call racially offensive.
Reid called on Snyder "to do what is morally right" by changing the name. Reid has criticized the name before, telling The Washington Post in March that he thinks it will be changed within three years.
Reid said his state has 22 tribes and that the only tradition behind the Redskins' name was one of racism.
Reid congratulated the NBA for banning Los Angeles Clippers' owner Donald Sterling for life. Sterling was caught in an audio recording making racist comments about blacks.
Reid said it's time for NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to follow the NBA's lead and rid his league of bigotry and racism.
Other prominent politicians have criticized or questioned the Redskins' name. President Barack Obama told The Associated Press in October: "If I were the owner of the team and I knew that the name of my team -- even if they've had a storied history -- was offending a sizable group of people, I'd think about changing it."
Several members of Congress, including Republicans and Democrats, have urged Snyder to change the team's name.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.