Updated Apr 18, 2014 - 3:16 pm
Pau Gasol to the Phoenix Suns makes a lot of sense
One of the areas of concern that Phoenix would like to address in the offseason is improving their post scoring. Markieff Morris improved in that area, but Gasol adds a whole different dimension. He averaged 17.4 points and 9.2 rebounds in which he played 62 games for the Lakers this past season.
Gasol will be 34 in July. He made $19.3 million last season and won't get close to that on a new deal considering his age and injury history.
The Suns currently are expected to have roughly $20 million in cap space. A portion of that will end up going to Eric Bledsoe when they sign him or match another team's offer. Just a guess here, but maybe you can get Gasol for $20 million over two years.
Having a veteran, proven center in Gasol makes Phoenix a legitimate playoff team next year, adds veteran championship experience and doesn't cost you anything in terms of players or draft picks.
It also allows Miles Plumlee to play the backup center spot, and Plumlee has proven very capable of starting should Gasol have to miss any time.
So in a nutshell, Gasol to the Suns makes a lot of sense for both sides.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.