Updated Apr 18, 2014 - 3:16 pm
Pau Gasol to the Phoenix Suns makes a lot of sense
One of the areas of concern that Phoenix would like to address in the offseason is improving their post scoring. Markieff Morris improved in that area, but Gasol adds a whole different dimension. He averaged 17.4 points and 9.2 rebounds in which he played 62 games for the Lakers this past season.
Gasol will be 34 in July. He made $19.3 million last season and won't get close to that on a new deal considering his age and injury history.
The Suns currently are expected to have roughly $20 million in cap space. A portion of that will end up going to Eric Bledsoe when they sign him or match another team's offer. Just a guess here, but maybe you can get Gasol for $20 million over two years.
Having a veteran, proven center in Gasol makes Phoenix a legitimate playoff team next year, adds veteran championship experience and doesn't cost you anything in terms of players or draft picks.
It also allows Miles Plumlee to play the backup center spot, and Plumlee has proven very capable of starting should Gasol have to miss any time.
So in a nutshell, Gasol to the Suns makes a lot of sense for both sides.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.