Updated Apr 18, 2014 - 2:09 pm
ESPN NBA analyst: Suns have nothing to be ashamed of
That especially goes for the NBA playoffs and when it's only by a single game.
The Phoenix Suns finished their 2013-14 campaign with a 48-34 record, improving vastly from last year's 25-win season.
So should fans feel dissatisfied in a team that quickly turned it around, but failed to execute a late season push for a final playoff seed?
ESPN NBA Insider Jon Barry says it is surely "disappointing," but it was a year that marked incredible strides for the team.
"I can't even explain how unbelievable of a job that they did this year," Barry told Doug and Wolf of Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "Jeff Hornacek is my coach of the year. They were predicted no better than 29th out of 30 teams by everybody you talked to before the season. They had an incredible year. The three games they had down the stretch, had they won two of them they were in, in San Antonio they were up 21, they were up double-digits in Dallas and in the Memphis game the crowd had great energy and they gave it everything they had."
In Hornacek's first year coaching, the team found help from first-year Suns like Gerald Green, Miles Plumlee and Eric Bledsoe, whom all had career-best years.
"They have nothing to be ashamed of that they aren't in the playoffs," Barry said. "It was an incredible season and it's a very, very important offseason."
Channing Frye is slated to make $6.8 million next year with the Suns if he decides not to test free agency. Bledsoe is a restricted free agent -- meaning the Suns can match any other team's offer -- and P.J. Tucker's contract will also expire, making him a free agent.
The team also holds three first-round draft picks.
Needless to say, the Suns have a busy offseason ahead of them.
"What are you going to do with this group? You have to be careful," Barry said. "There's something to be said about chemistry. It's not about ‘hey, we just go add one star player and he's going to fit right in'. These guys played in a role this year and they have a lot of flexibility, draft picks and money to spend. I think [Ryan] McDonough is in a great job and hopefully he does it wisely and they become a team that is somebody to be reckoned with in the Western Conference."
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.