Suns fall to Grizzlies, are eliminated from playoff contention: By The Numbers
Then things took a turn for the worst.
Phoenix has now lost three straight, capped off by a 97-91 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies on Monday at U.S. Airways Center -- eliminating the Suns from NBA playoff contention.
Here's a closer look at the loss, by the numbers:
Not a single sports team from the Phoenix area made the playoffs in seasons beginning in 2013, meaning Arizona's last playoff appearance came when the Phoenix Coyotes were eliminated by the Los Angeles Kings in the 2012 Western Conference Finals -- a span of about 600 days.
Two Grizzlies set season scoring highs -- Zach Randolph with 32 and Mike Miller with 21 off the bench.
The Suns managed their fourth sellout of the season in their biggest game of the year, announcing a crowd of 18,422.
Continuing a common trend from this season, five Phoenix players scored in double figures: Every starter but P.J. Tucker, and Markieff Morris scored a team-high 21 off the bench.
Suns guard Gerald Green managed just seven points on 2-of-4 shooting in the game, and was obviously a defensive key for each of the Suns' final few opponents.
Phoenix used a 14-0 run between that spanned the end of the second quarter and beginning of the third to erase the Grizzlies' 13-point lead and take a one-point lead of its own.
The Suns managed to drop 40 points in the paint against the Grizzlies -- but Memphis did them one better, scoring 50 in the paint.
The Suns will finish the season with at least 47 wins -- well over projections that had them finishing the season with somewhere between 20 and 25 and being one of the league's worst teams.
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.