Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker is a good role model for us all
Next up was supposed to be Russia. Those plans were derailed.
Although the list of Lance Blanks accomplishments is only barely longer than the list of great Wally Backman managerial decisions, the invitation in 2012 for P.J. Tucker to play on the Suns' Summer League team is easily the best.
No guaranteed money or roster spot. Tucker was only promised he could earn the right to simply be invited to training camp after Vegas. He decided to opt-out of his Spartak St. Petersburg contract and become a Summer Sun.
P.J. Tucker has earned everything and been given nothing in his professional career. He played Summer League ball with the Cavaliers in 2007. Even the Cavs told him he wasn't good enough to make the team. Months later the Cavs traded for failed pro Wally Szczerbiak. They wanted Wally World yet Tucker wasn't needed.
Do you chase your dreams like P.J. Tucker does?
Do you refuse to give in when you know you can do the job others say you can't?
Does anyone question your effort?
We all need to attack our jobs like P.J. Tucker. Tucker plays every game like someone will send him away and never let him play in the NBA again. They've already done that twice and Tucker refused to accept their opinion. I have a feeling he will never let the third time be a charm. Tucker will get to dictate his exit this time.
Not only does every Sun need to look in the mirror and ask themselves if they give as much as Tucker does to win, maybe we all do. We always attack athletes who are not role models for our kids. It's time for us as adults to have role models.
I'm a man. I'm even over 40. I have no problem admitting I have a role model.
Doug Franz, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Phoenix Suns GM on Eric Bledsoe: 'I think he will be back at the end of the day'
- Phoenix Suns go all in on two point-guard lineups
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.
- Chris Broussard, ESPN NBA insider - Thursday July 17ESPN NBA insider Chris Broussard gives his take on Eric Bledsoe’s contract situation with the Phoeni