Phoenix Suns president: Advertising on uniforms makes sense
The next alteration to their look, however, may not be viewed with the same level of enthusiasm.
NBA commissioner Adam Silver said recently that he would expect advertisements to reach uniforms in the next five years.
It's not unlike what can be seen in the WNBA, Arena Football League or soccer clubs around the world.
A guest of the Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Thursday, Suns president of basketball operations Lon Babby said it makes complete sense.
"There's a part of me that loves the old school part of it, but there's also recognizing the business aspects of it," he said.
Babby pointed to the fact that a lot of fans don't watch sporting events live these days, instead choosing to record them for later viewing. And when that happens, commercials tend to get skipped.
"If you're trying to get value to advertisers, one of the ways to do that is to ensure that people see their brand, so that makes a lot of sense to me," he said. "You know what? It will bother us in the beginning and they obviously do it at other places in the world.
"It's not a major issue with me. I think that it doesn't affect the purity of the game or the joy of the game."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.