Phoenix Suns president: Advertising on uniforms makes sense
The next alteration to their look, however, may not be viewed with the same level of enthusiasm.
NBA commissioner Adam Silver said recently that he would expect advertisements to reach uniforms in the next five years.
It's not unlike what can be seen in the WNBA, Arena Football League or soccer clubs around the world.
A guest of the Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Thursday, Suns president of basketball operations Lon Babby said it makes complete sense.
"There's a part of me that loves the old school part of it, but there's also recognizing the business aspects of it," he said.
Babby pointed to the fact that a lot of fans don't watch sporting events live these days, instead choosing to record them for later viewing. And when that happens, commercials tend to get skipped.
"If you're trying to get value to advertisers, one of the ways to do that is to ensure that people see their brand, so that makes a lot of sense to me," he said. "You know what? It will bother us in the beginning and they obviously do it at other places in the world.
"It's not a major issue with me. I think that it doesn't affect the purity of the game or the joy of the game."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Owner Robert Sarver: Phoenix Suns not trying to lowball RFA Eric Bledsoe
- An open letter to Eric Bledsoe
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- Robert Sarver, Phoenix Suns Owner - Friday August 1Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver joins the show to discuss Gambo's letter to Eric Bledsoe.
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.