Suns' Babby: Archie Goodwin has 'a unique talent'
The rookie guard out of Kentucky played a season-high 27 minutes and responded with 16 points, seven rebounds, two steals, one assist and one blocked shot.
He made 6-of-10 field goal attempts, including 1-of-2 from three-point range.
It's one game, sure, but seeing something an effort like that certainly makes the Suns excited about his future.
"It's a great piece of evaluation by Ryan and our scouts," Suns president of basketball operations Lon Babby told the Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta Thursday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "He's got a unique talent; we saw it last night. He's got an innate ability to get to the rim.
"And that's a special talent."
Goodwin, who showed his athleticism during an impressive second-quarter dunk, got to the free throw line for seven attempts, too. He only made three, though, a sign that there is still plenty about his game that could use refinement. The 6-foot-5 guard played just one year at Kentucky, where he averaged 14.1 points, 4.6 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.1 steals per game.
"I think he's got a lot to learn, obviously, but he's 19 years old and he's got some things that you can't teach," Babby explained. "It's always good to see him hit a three -- I know he's been working hard on his shot."
Babby added that Goodwin was put in a tough spot Wednesday being asked to play point guard, which was a necessity for the team with Eric Bledsoe still out and Goran Dragic missing the game due to an ankle injury. Goodwin finished with just the lone assist, but that isn't necessarily indicative of how well he played the position.
"I talked to Jeff about it this morning and he said Archie knows all the plays and knows what to run and did a nice job under difficult circumstances," Babby said.
Goodwin has appeared in just 40 games this season, averaging 11.1 minutes per contest.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.