Updated Feb 25, 2014 - 10:50 am
Phoenix Suns coach: Eric Bledsoe would likely return in somewhat limited role
Monday, he did some 3-on-3 drills at practice, getting a chance to actually play a little basketball.
"It felt great," he said after the workout.
A guest of Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Tuesday, Suns coach Jeff Hornacek said his point guard looked good Monday, but conditioning is going to be a big issue.
After all, there's a big difference between what Bledsoe did Monday and what he'd be asked to do in a real game.
"He looks like he has the quickness he had before, but when you start going up and down the court, we want to make sure that he's in condition," he said. "That's usually when guys get hurt, when they're tired. They are pressing a little bit.
"I don't know what that time frame is going to be. We'll continue to push him a little bit harder every single day, see if we can get him into that shape. When we see that, the trainers will probably give him the green light to go."
If and when that does happen, the Suns will get a player who was playing 33.5 minutes per game and averaging 18.0 points, 5.8 assists and 4.3 rebounds per game in his first season as a full-time starter.
But whether or not he'll return to a starting role has yet to be determined, though Hornacek is leaning toward having the 24-year-old come off the bench, at least in the beginning.
"I don't know if he'll have a minutes restriction or not, but still, after not playing for six, eight weeks, whatever it's going to be," the coach said. "You can't just throw him in there and say, 'Hey, you're going to play your 35 minutes again.'
"That's probably too much to ask of somebody coming off the surgery and coming back into it."
However, Hornacek added -- with a chuckle -- that if Bledsoe is playing really well it would be tough to take him off the floor, regardless of what his intentions are for the guard today.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Phoenix Suns waive guard Dionte Christmas
- P.J. Tucker and cash deserved
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.