Updated Feb 25, 2014 - 10:50 am
Phoenix Suns coach: Eric Bledsoe would likely return in somewhat limited role
Monday, he did some 3-on-3 drills at practice, getting a chance to actually play a little basketball.
"It felt great," he said after the workout.
A guest of Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Tuesday, Suns coach Jeff Hornacek said his point guard looked good Monday, but conditioning is going to be a big issue.
After all, there's a big difference between what Bledsoe did Monday and what he'd be asked to do in a real game.
"He looks like he has the quickness he had before, but when you start going up and down the court, we want to make sure that he's in condition," he said. "That's usually when guys get hurt, when they're tired. They are pressing a little bit.
"I don't know what that time frame is going to be. We'll continue to push him a little bit harder every single day, see if we can get him into that shape. When we see that, the trainers will probably give him the green light to go."
If and when that does happen, the Suns will get a player who was playing 33.5 minutes per game and averaging 18.0 points, 5.8 assists and 4.3 rebounds per game in his first season as a full-time starter.
But whether or not he'll return to a starting role has yet to be determined, though Hornacek is leaning toward having the 24-year-old come off the bench, at least in the beginning.
"I don't know if he'll have a minutes restriction or not, but still, after not playing for six, eight weeks, whatever it's going to be," the coach said. "You can't just throw him in there and say, 'Hey, you're going to play your 35 minutes again.'
"That's probably too much to ask of somebody coming off the surgery and coming back into it."
However, Hornacek added -- with a chuckle -- that if Bledsoe is playing really well it would be tough to take him off the floor, regardless of what his intentions are for the guard today.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.