Suns forward P.J. Tucker feared he'd been traded before learning of flopping fine
While no moves were made, that didn't necessarily mean that every Suns player was cool, calm and collected over the last 48 hours or so.
In fact, as president of basketball operations Lon Babby shared with Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, one particular starter was alarmed when he received a call from the Suns' brass this week.
"We had one -- I thought it was funny, but I don't think he did -- moment yesterday," Babby said. "Ryan [McDonough] and I, once they're were announcing his fines for flopping, we wanted to call P.J. [Tucker] first and let him know this about to be announced. And, so we leave him a message. We get this breathless call back.
"Ryan and I look at each other and immediately realized that he probably thought he was being traded. So, he was probably the happiest guy in the world that he was only fined $5,000."
While Tucker didn't exactly sound all that thrilled about his newfound perception as a flopper, Babby is right about one thing, it sure beats getting traded from a playoff contender.
This season, Tucker is averaging 9.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 1.9 assists per game. He's one of only three Suns players to start all 53 games, as well.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.