Suns forward P.J. Tucker feared he'd been traded before learning of flopping fine
While no moves were made, that didn't necessarily mean that every Suns player was cool, calm and collected over the last 48 hours or so.
In fact, as president of basketball operations Lon Babby shared with Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, one particular starter was alarmed when he received a call from the Suns' brass this week.
"We had one -- I thought it was funny, but I don't think he did -- moment yesterday," Babby said. "Ryan [McDonough] and I, once they're were announcing his fines for flopping, we wanted to call P.J. [Tucker] first and let him know this about to be announced. And, so we leave him a message. We get this breathless call back.
"Ryan and I look at each other and immediately realized that he probably thought he was being traded. So, he was probably the happiest guy in the world that he was only fined $5,000."
While Tucker didn't exactly sound all that thrilled about his newfound perception as a flopper, Babby is right about one thing, it sure beats getting traded from a playoff contender.
This season, Tucker is averaging 9.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 1.9 assists per game. He's one of only three Suns players to start all 53 games, as well.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Phoenix Suns hope Eric Bledsoe ‘ready to go' next week
- Newly signed center Shavlik Randolph has close ties to Suns GM, players
- Phoenix Suns center Miles Plumlee to miss second straight game
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Basketball Operations - Thursday March 6Lon Babby talks about the Suns recent injury woes.
- The DISH - March 6, 2014 - Thursday March 6Jon Bloom takes the Suns time machine back to 2000 and a big late season victory at home.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday March 6What's the best way to prepare for games on the road?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday March 5Suns GM Ryan McDonough reacts to the team's loss to the Clippers.
- The DISH - March 4, 2013 - Tuesday March 4Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.