Updated Feb 16, 2014 - 11:16 am
Suns' Goran Dragic knocked out of All-Star Skills Challenge in Round 1
On Saturday, the Phoenix Suns guard participated in the Taco Bell Skills Challenge in New Orleans, La., as part of the NBA's All-Star Weekend and, despite his best efforts, he was knocked out of the competition in the first round.
The challenge was set up to feature two teams from the Eastern Conference and two from the Western Conference, with one from each conference advancing to the final.
The East paired rookies Michael Carter-Williams and Victor Oladipo with one another along with Giannis Antetokounmpo and DeMar DeRozan as its second tandem.
The West, meanwhile, put defending skills challenge champion Damian Lillard with Trey Burke and Dragic with Reggie Jackson.
The competition spans the entire court, with both members of the team having to score a lay-in bucket, dribble through three obstacles, chest-pass a ball through a tire and hit a three-point shot at the top of the key.
Dragic's team went third in the competition and logged the best time of the event to that point, but they were ultimately outdone by Lillard and Burke. Dragic and Jackson logged a time of 42.3 seconds while Lillard and Burke finished at 40.5 in the first round.
Both Dragic and Jackson missed their first three-point attempts, but the Oklahoma City guard's seemingly lackadaisical effort proved the most costly, as pointed out by television analyst Reggie Miller. Dragic showed no such lack of urgency, putting forth his signature hustle throughout the competition.
Lillard and Burke won the final round of the event, as well, with a time of 45.2 seconds.
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Phoenix Suns hope Eric Bledsoe ‘ready to go' next week
- Newly signed center Shavlik Randolph has close ties to Suns GM, players
- Phoenix Suns center Miles Plumlee to miss second straight game
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Basketball Operations - Thursday March 6Lon Babby talks about the Suns recent injury woes.
- The DISH - March 6, 2014 - Thursday March 6Jon Bloom takes the Suns time machine back to 2000 and a big late season victory at home.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday March 6What's the best way to prepare for games on the road?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday March 5Suns GM Ryan McDonough reacts to the team's loss to the Clippers.
- The DISH - March 4, 2013 - Tuesday March 4Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.