After losing Wednesday night, they're 8-4 in their last 12 games. They compete every night; it doesn't mean they're good every night, but they play like the Dogs of War are nipping at their heels every night.
Houston is a good team, 15 games over .500, and they're playing well. They were playing at home. They had won three in a row coming into Wednesday night and were 7-3 in their last 10 games. They're a good team.
But there is cause for concern when you think of Miles Plumlee, a guy that has been an integral piece to the Suns' unforeseen success. Miles has got to step it up. I think he's getting a little worn down mentally. He's not moving as well as he did. He's getting a lot of minutes, minutes he has never had the opportunity to get, previously. He plays hard but needs to push himself even more, not back off and pace himself.
And he doesn't look as confident as he did earlier in the year. He looks tentative with the ball. Dwight Howard smelled smoke while posting up on Plumlee and it wasn't coming from his hot hand. Howard rolled Plumlee up and smoked him like a big, fat Cuban and finished with a plus/minus that looked like Wall Street. Plumlee's plus/minus looked like Sochi.
It's OK, it happens. I have been there myself, many times. You think you're giving all you possess but you're really not and need to dig deeper, prepare harder. I'm sure the coaches are in his ear and expect to see him rebound, literally and figuratively.
The All-Star break should serve him well. But he's officially on the Suns' supernova watch.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Phoenix Suns' Channing Frye finishes third in NBA Sportsmanship Award voting
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.