Updated Feb 4, 2014 - 9:35 am
Phoenix Suns' Jeff Hornacek talks about team chemistry with trade rumors swirling
Marc Stein of ESPN reported Sunday that the Suns are interested in acquiring Los Angeles Lakers big man Pau Gasol in a deal that would send the expiring contract of injured center Emeka Okafor and possibly a first-round draft pick to L.A.
The Suns currently sit 29-18 heading into Tuesday night's game against the Chicago Bulls at US Airways Center. Once thought to be a team that would "tank" the season to improve their draft position, Phoenix is now considered a playoff team. That change in itself begs the question -- do the Suns need to add a piece for the stretch run?
"It's tough, we've got great chemistry right now," Suns head coach Jeff Hornacek told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports now on 98.7 FM Tuesday morning. "We have an exciting young team that plays hard, so it's always a crapshoot. We'd like to grow with these guys, but if (GM) Ryan (McDonough) feels there's something that's going to make the team better in the long run, he'll do it."
The rookie head coach hit on an important question that will arise should the Suns add anyone -- how will it affect team chemistry? Phoenix has been surprisingly tight-knit for a young roster featuring plenty of new faces.
"I think when you're a successful team and you're winning and somebody gets put into the mix, then they fall right in line," he said. "They understand what was going on to make the team successful.
"It's more when you're a bad team and trades happen when guys come in and think they're going to do it their way. But we're a good team, so our thought is 'this is the team we have.' If something happens, we'll work them in somehow."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.