Updated Feb 3, 2014 - 8:17 am
Report: Phoenix Suns interested in trading for Pau Gasol
And now, if you believe the reports, they're interested in fortifying their roster for a playoff run.
ESPN NBA insider Marc Stein is reporting that the Suns are exploring a trade for Los Angeles Lakers big man Pau Gasol.
One option for the Suns, by virtue of their $5.6 million in available salary-cap space, is swapping the expiring contract of injured big man Emeka Okafor for Gasol, even though Okafor's $14.5 million salary this season falls well shy of Gasol's $19.3 million.
The 33-year-old Gasol, a four-time All-Star, is averaging 17.0 points and 10.2 rebounds in 44 games for the Lakers this season -- making him one of only eight players in the league to have those averages this season.
It's important to note that the Suns are not shopping one of their many first-round draft picks, instead dangling Okafor's expiring contract. Okafor has not played a minute this season. The 10-year veteran was acquired by the Suns in October from Washington in the Marcin Gortat trade, but has been rehabbing a neck injury.
It's believed that the Suns, knowing that a franchise-type talent is unlikely to become available between now and the deadline, like the idea of acquiring a proven veteran of Gasol's caliber who won't slice into the club's projected cap-space riches in this and future summers.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Jeff Hornacek: We got it back to Phoenix Suns basketball
- Suns' Jeff Hornacek finishes behind Spurs' Gregg Popovich in Coach of the Year voting
- Phoenix Suns' vocal, emotional leader P.J. Tucker wants to return
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.