Phoenix Suns guard Ish Smith: Indiana game-like effort is there every night
Indiana came into the game with the league's best record and the game was being aired on ESPN, so the stage was bright. The Suns stepped up with a dominant 124-100 victory.
Phoenix shot 54.2 percent from the field and made 11-of-16 three-point attempts. They had nine turnovers compared to the Pacers' 20, and out-assisted their opponents by one.
It was as good an effort as you'll see from the 24-17 team, but not one guard Ish Smith thinks should be attributed to the team "getting up" for a big game.
"I'll be honest with you," he told the Burns and Gambo Show on Arizona Sports on 98.7 FM Thursday. "I'd be lying to you if I said it's not true, but we prepare each and every game...we prepare and play each and every game like we played last night.
"Sometimes we make shots, sometimes we don't make shots."
He said the defensive effort is always there, so that if the team shoots the ball the way it did Wednesday night then yeah, they'll be tough to beat.
But of course, they won't always be playing the East's top team on national TV.
"It could go either way," he said of playing on that kind of stage. "You could be too nervous or too excited. But I thought we had a great balance."
Smith played 14 minutes against the Pacers, connecting on four of his six shot attempts for 8 points while handing out 2 assists.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.