Phoenix Suns guard Ish Smith: Indiana game-like effort is there every night
Indiana came into the game with the league's best record and the game was being aired on ESPN, so the stage was bright. The Suns stepped up with a dominant 124-100 victory.
Phoenix shot 54.2 percent from the field and made 11-of-16 three-point attempts. They had nine turnovers compared to the Pacers' 20, and out-assisted their opponents by one.
It was as good an effort as you'll see from the 24-17 team, but not one guard Ish Smith thinks should be attributed to the team "getting up" for a big game.
"I'll be honest with you," he told the Burns and Gambo Show on Arizona Sports on 98.7 FM Thursday. "I'd be lying to you if I said it's not true, but we prepare each and every game...we prepare and play each and every game like we played last night.
"Sometimes we make shots, sometimes we don't make shots."
He said the defensive effort is always there, so that if the team shoots the ball the way it did Wednesday night then yeah, they'll be tough to beat.
But of course, they won't always be playing the East's top team on national TV.
"It could go either way," he said of playing on that kind of stage. "You could be too nervous or too excited. But I thought we had a great balance."
Smith played 14 minutes against the Pacers, connecting on four of his six shot attempts for 8 points while handing out 2 assists.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?