Troublesome shoulder and all, Suns' Leandro Barbosa has memorable homecoming
Barbosa, who was a fan favorite during his first stint with Phoenix from 2003-10, didn't disappoint either. In the Suns' 117-103 victory over the Denver Nuggets, the "Brazilian Blur" poured in 13 points off the bench to go along with four rebounds and three assists.
"First, I want to say thank you to the fans because they cheered me when I came onto the court," Barbosa said after the victory. "I haven't forgotten them. It was a great feeling to see the fans open up and cheer for me. I was really, really happy."
During his five appearances with the Suns in 2013-14, Barbosa has averaged 10.0 points per game, including two straight double-digit performances. But the former first-round pick admitted that his shoulder, which he injured in overtime of a 98-96 road loss to the New York Knicks on Jan. 13, continues to be troublesome at times on the court.
"It bothers me a little bit," said Barbosa. "It's still not comfortable with this thing I have in my shoulder. I just did what I could to help this team win this game. It was very important for us.
"We didn't do a great job on the road, so it was great winning tonight."
The 11-year veteran's latest performance could go a long way towards cementing his place as a mainstay in the Valley for the rest of the season.
Contractually, the NBA only allows teams to sign players to back-to-back 10-day deals. At the conclusion of the second deal, the team has to decide whether or not to sign the player for the rest of the season or release him outright.
Barbosa has eight days left on his second 10-day deal.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- The DISH - March 12, 2013 - Wednesday March 12Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns' History.
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea