Suns GM: 'It's more likely than not' that Eric Bledsoe will return this season
And since Bledsoe suffered a knee injury on Dec. 30, underwent surgery and is out for the foreseeable future, it's become clear how important he is to the Suns. Phoenix has lost five of seven without the 24-year-old, including a pair of two-point losses.
"Realistically, I'm not sure," McDonough told Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "My guess is sometime between the All-Star break and end of the season. We're going to take it slow and make sure he's 100 percent. Five days after surgery, it's tough. It's weeks from now.
"You never know how it'll go with rehab, but I think it's more likely than not that he plays for us at some point this year."
While the Suns obviously miss Bledsoe scoring (18 points per game) and ability to create offense (5.8 assists per game), they recently acquired guard Leandro Barbosa, and McDonough said he hopes Barbosa can help fill the void left offensively.
But Bledsoe's athleticism will be missed defensively, and the Suns won't be able to employ the dual-point guard system they'd envisioned with Bledsoe on the floor at the same time as Goran Dragic.
"It's easier for defenses to load up on Goran," McDonough said. "He's done a great job despite the increased attention. He's playing at an All-Star level and hopefully he'll get some consideration. But he's carrying a heavier load. It's hard to rest him. There's a drop-off when he's off the floor."
McDonough said that Barbosa was brought to Phoenix with the intention of giving the Suns an offensive boost, and he'll likely remain with the team through the end of the season.
But while Barbosa was brought in to be a somewhat-similar player to Bledsoe, the Suns know it's going to take a team effort to replace his production.
"You don't replace [Bledsoe] with one guy," McDonough said. "It's been a bit of a struggle since he's been out, and we'll have to continue to tweak it and find answers. Hopefully Leandro will bring a spark."
- Phoenix Suns GM: It would be a waste of time for another team to pursue Eric Bledsoe
- If you dislike Robert Sarver, don't read this!
- Robert Sarver reflects on his 10 years at the helm of the Phoenix Suns
- Gordon, Johnson declare for NBA draft
- Phoenix Suns' Channing Frye all heart, set to complete 'awesome' season
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday April 15Why were the Suns able to surpass early season expectations?
- The DISH - April 14, 2014 - Monday April 14Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns History.