Leandro Barbosa breaks through with big game as Phoenix Suns nearly steal one in New York
The 31-year-old combo guard got a burst of energy in the fourth quarter against the New York Knicks, scoring 14 of the team's 24 points, helping the Suns erase a seven-point deficit and force overtime.
The Suns eventually fell 98-96 at the end of the extra period, but they wouldn't have made it that far without Barbosa's spectacular fourth quarter. Looking like his old self, he seemed to be able to get the the rim at will as the game wound down in regulation. He made three driving layups in the period, and even drew two fouls, converting those into four free throws -- including two that tied the game and sent it into overtime.
The 11-year veteran, who spent his first seven seasons in Phoenix, finished with 21 points on 8-of-15 shooting to go with three rebounds and two assists in 30 minutes of action.
With emerging star point guard Eric Bledsoe out at least four-to-six weeks after getting surgery on a torn meniscus in his knee, Barbosa just made his best case to get signed to another 10-day contract -- or possibly for the rest of the season.
Before putting on a Suns jersey last Wednesday against Minnesota, the 2003 first round draft pick hadn't stepped foot on an NBA court since tearing his ACL in February 2013 while with the Boston Celtics. He was playing professional ball in Brazil until Phoenix gave him a call and signed him to a short-term contract.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset with success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?