Updated Jan 5, 2014 - 3:41 pm
Leandro Barbosa to return to Phoenix Suns on 10-day contract
Barbosa, 31, is presumably being brought in for insurance purposes with Eric Bledsoe sidelined by a right knee sprain suffered during the Suns' win against the Los Angeles Clippers on Monday.
The 6-foot-3, 194-pound combo guard broke into the NBA with the Suns back in 2003 and went on to spend a seven-year stint with the organization. He has since spent time with the Toronto Raptors, Indiana Pacers, Washington Wizards and Boston Celtics, whom he played for last season while Suns general manager Ryan McDonough was still with the organization.
Barbosa has averaged 12.0 points per game, 2.4 assists per game over the course of his 11-year NBA career. A lifetime 46 percent shooter, Barbosa averaged less than 20 minutes per game in each of his final two seasons in the league.
He suffered a torn ACL in his left knee while with the Celtics last February.
Prior to signing with the Suns on Sunday, Barbosa was playing in Brazil's NBB on Esporte Clube Pinheiros.
The Phoenix Suns are working to finalize a 10 day contract with former sun Leandra Barbosa— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) January 5, 2014
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Phoenix Suns hope Eric Bledsoe ‘ready to go' next week
- Newly signed center Shavlik Randolph has close ties to Suns GM, players
- Phoenix Suns center Miles Plumlee to miss second straight game
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Basketball Operations - Thursday March 6Lon Babby talks about the Suns recent injury woes.
- The DISH - March 6, 2014 - Thursday March 6Jon Bloom takes the Suns time machine back to 2000 and a big late season victory at home.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday March 6What's the best way to prepare for games on the road?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday March 5Suns GM Ryan McDonough reacts to the team's loss to the Clippers.
- The DISH - March 4, 2013 - Tuesday March 4Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.