Suns Strokes: Phoenix tops Philadelphia, bounces back from worst loss of season
Miles Plumlee scored 22 points and grabbed 13 rebounds and Eric Bledsoe and Goran Dragic each scored more than 20 to lead the Suns past the Philadelphia 76ers, 115-101, less than 24 hours after losing to the Golden State Warriors by 29 -- their largest margin of defeat this season.
Phoenix used another big first quarter to jump to an early lead, scoring 36 points in the game's first 12 minutes. The Suns led by three at halftime, but steadily grew their lead by the time the clock wound down.
Philadelphia's Michael Carter-Williams and Thaddeus Young combined to score 57 points, but seven of the 11 76ers that played scored less than 10 while five didn't score at all.
The Suns were clicking offensively, thanks in large part to the best offensive game of Plumlee's young career. His 22 points came on 10-of-14 shooting, and he added four offensive rebounds.
Bledsoe and Dragic continued to show that a dual point guard system can be effective -- they combined for 41 points and nine assists -- and Marcus Morris added 18 points off the bench.
Defensively, the Suns held Philadelphia to 39 percent shooting and forced 20 turnovers to the 76ers' 19 assists. Phoenix won three of the four quarters, and three of the Suns' starters had a +/- of better than +10.
Despite Philadelphia's poor shooting night, three 76ers scored more than 20 points -- Young, Carter-Williams and Tony Wroten. While it's good that Phoenix limited the 76ers as a whole, letting three players go off typically isn't a recipe for success.
STAT OF THE GAME
The Suns scored 31 fast break points while allowing just 14.
Phoenix has won nine of its eleven games since losing back-to-back contests to start December.
The Suns hit the road again on Monday, when they take on the Los Angeles Clippers at the Staples Center. Tip-off is at 8:30 p.m. and can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.