Updated Dec 5, 2013 - 6:35 pm
Suns' Babby: With intensity, team ‘can play with anybody'
At 10-9, the Suns are just outside of playoff contention and surprising most. They're 8-7 against the deep Western Conference, 5-6 on the road and, according to Lon Babby, president of basketball operations, they're good enough to beat anyone.
"If we run on offense and play with intensity on defense," Babby explained to The Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, "we can play with anybody.
"I think our guys recognize that."
The Suns have handed the West's best team, the Portland Trail Blazers, two of their three losses, while also coming within a few points of beating both the San Antonio Spurs and Oklahoma City Thunder. The team also came within a point of beating the Trail Blazers a third time, losing 90-89 on a last-second Damian Lillard layup.
Yet, as Babby explains, maintaining such energy -- pacing themselves over the course of an 82-game season -- is a challenge.
"The hard thing is that it's not easy to do that every night," he said.
Exhibit A of such a statement came on back-to-back late November nights, when the team lost a road-home slate of games to the lowly Sacramento Kings, who have only managed four wins all season -- tied for the fewest in the West.
While quick to point out how well the Suns can play with the right approach, Babby knows his team is more than just capable on such a style -- they're dependent on it.
"We don't have the talent to cruise," he said. "That's for sure."
Just three of the team's 10 wins thus far have come via double digits, leaving no evidence of the team's ability to ‘cruise', as it were.
But that's fine. No one expected them to.
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.