Suns GM: Rookie Goodwin 'one of the hardest workers' on team
Though his numbers were somewhat unempressive at Kentucky, Goodwin was the second-youngest player in the draft and the athletic, rangy guard had all of the physical tools and the high ceiling NBA teams look for in guards.
Goodwin seemed to see those physical tools turn into results on the floor against the Sacramento Kings Tuesday, scoring a career-high 16 points on 7-of-10 shooting to go along with two assists, rebounds and blocks.
"At 19 years old, he's already one of the hardest workers on our team," Suns GM Ryan McDonough told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "That's what the background on him was coming out. You never know how that's going to go once guys get drafted and have some money in their pockets, but he's worked as hard, if not harder, since we drafted him. He probably gets more shots up than anybody on the team."
Goodwin is one of several Suns players that got their experience at a high-profile college program, such as Duke, Kansas, Arizona, Kentucy and UCONN. McDonough said it's nice to find players that players have experience playing against high-level talent on a big state, but he doesn't like making decisions based on a player's college.
"There's some value to that, but it's not something I specifically look for," McDonough said. "If you do that, you'll miss a Damian Lillard or George Hill or some of the good players from smaller programs."
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Friday April 18Does Eric Bledsoe want to spend the prime of his career with the Suns?
- Jon Barry, ESPN NBA insider - Friday April 18Who is the team to beat in the East?
- Channing Frye, Suns forward - Thursday April 17Channing discusses the Suns' completed season, and what he is looking forward to in the offseason.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday April 17Lon Babby reacts to the Suns' season and talks with the guys about the optimism surrounding the org