Updated Nov 5, 2013 - 5:45 pm
ESPN Insider: Channing Frye could be good trade candidate
The word "tank" is shunned, but there is an understanding that any lumps that may be associated with giving inexperienced players significant minutes will be worth it in the end.
So, one is left to wonder where some of the team's veterans fit in.
It is with that in mind that Amin Elhassan, in an ESPN Insider piece, mentioned Channing Frye as one of the NBA's "top fire-sale candidates."
One of the preeminent stretch bigs prior to missing the entire 2012-13 season due to a heart condition, Frye still is trying to regain his stamina and timing, not to mention his touch. When healthy, he's an elite 3-point shooter, and he's done a good job of slowly expanding his game to include one-dribble pull-ups versus hard contests and mid- and low-post shots over smaller defenders.
Defensively, he's an underrated post defender and an average defensive rebounder, but he probably would benefit from playing alongside an athletic defensive big. If he can show a return to form, Frye's manageable contract ($6.6 million AAV) and skill set will make him a hot commodity in the fire-sale market.
The 30-year-old Frye is averaging 10 points and four rebounds in 26 minutes per game this season, and has career averages of 9.7 points and 5.2 rebounds per contest.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns' Channing Frye finishes third in NBA Sportsmanship Award voting
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.