Updated Nov 5, 2013 - 5:45 pm
ESPN Insider: Channing Frye could be good trade candidate
The word "tank" is shunned, but there is an understanding that any lumps that may be associated with giving inexperienced players significant minutes will be worth it in the end.
So, one is left to wonder where some of the team's veterans fit in.
It is with that in mind that Amin Elhassan, in an ESPN Insider piece, mentioned Channing Frye as one of the NBA's "top fire-sale candidates."
One of the preeminent stretch bigs prior to missing the entire 2012-13 season due to a heart condition, Frye still is trying to regain his stamina and timing, not to mention his touch. When healthy, he's an elite 3-point shooter, and he's done a good job of slowly expanding his game to include one-dribble pull-ups versus hard contests and mid- and low-post shots over smaller defenders.
Defensively, he's an underrated post defender and an average defensive rebounder, but he probably would benefit from playing alongside an athletic defensive big. If he can show a return to form, Frye's manageable contract ($6.6 million AAV) and skill set will make him a hot commodity in the fire-sale market.
The 30-year-old Frye is averaging 10 points and four rebounds in 26 minutes per game this season, and has career averages of 9.7 points and 5.2 rebounds per contest.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.