Suns' revamped frontcourt impresses in season-opening win
Despite operating somewhat shorthanded with the recent trade of Marcin Gortat and the suspension of forward Markieff Morris, Phoenix's bigs left their mark on a game that opened something of a new era for the Suns, who were debuting new jerseys, a new coach and an overhauled roster.
Center Miles Plumlee, acquired in an offseason trade with the Indiana Pacers, scored 18 points, grabbed 15 rebounds and blocked three shots -- surpassing his 2012 season total for points and matching it in blocks.
"Things went my way to begin with, and the confidence just kept rolling," Plumlee said. "All you can ask for is the opportunity."
Forward Channing Frye -- who missed all of last season because of an enlarged heart -- scored seven points on 3-of-7 shooting, including a late bucket to help put Portland away. And rookie center Alex Len showed flashes of what led the Suns to take him No. 5 overall out of Maryland, though he struggled at times while scoring on his only shot attempt and picking up three fouls in eight minutes of action.
Forwards P.J. Tucker, Gerald Green and Marcus Morris also combined for 29 points -- 18 of which came from Tucker -- to go along with 13 rebounds.
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Phoenix Suns hope Eric Bledsoe ‘ready to go' next week
- Newly signed center Shavlik Randolph has close ties to Suns GM, players
- Phoenix Suns center Miles Plumlee to miss second straight game
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Basketball Operations - Thursday March 6Lon Babby talks about the Suns recent injury woes.
- The DISH - March 6, 2014 - Thursday March 6Jon Bloom takes the Suns time machine back to 2000 and a big late season victory at home.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday March 6What's the best way to prepare for games on the road?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday March 5Suns GM Ryan McDonough reacts to the team's loss to the Clippers.
- The DISH - March 4, 2013 - Tuesday March 4Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.