Suns' revamped frontcourt impresses in season-opening win
Despite operating somewhat shorthanded with the recent trade of Marcin Gortat and the suspension of forward Markieff Morris, Phoenix's bigs left their mark on a game that opened something of a new era for the Suns, who were debuting new jerseys, a new coach and an overhauled roster.
Center Miles Plumlee, acquired in an offseason trade with the Indiana Pacers, scored 18 points, grabbed 15 rebounds and blocked three shots -- surpassing his 2012 season total for points and matching it in blocks.
"Things went my way to begin with, and the confidence just kept rolling," Plumlee said. "All you can ask for is the opportunity."
Forward Channing Frye -- who missed all of last season because of an enlarged heart -- scored seven points on 3-of-7 shooting, including a late bucket to help put Portland away. And rookie center Alex Len showed flashes of what led the Suns to take him No. 5 overall out of Maryland, though he struggled at times while scoring on his only shot attempt and picking up three fouls in eight minutes of action.
Forwards P.J. Tucker, Gerald Green and Marcus Morris also combined for 29 points -- 18 of which came from Tucker -- to go along with 13 rebounds.
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.