Suns' revamped frontcourt impresses in season-opening win
Despite operating somewhat shorthanded with the recent trade of Marcin Gortat and the suspension of forward Markieff Morris, Phoenix's bigs left their mark on a game that opened something of a new era for the Suns, who were debuting new jerseys, a new coach and an overhauled roster.
Center Miles Plumlee, acquired in an offseason trade with the Indiana Pacers, scored 18 points, grabbed 15 rebounds and blocked three shots -- surpassing his 2012 season total for points and matching it in blocks.
"Things went my way to begin with, and the confidence just kept rolling," Plumlee said. "All you can ask for is the opportunity."
Forward Channing Frye -- who missed all of last season because of an enlarged heart -- scored seven points on 3-of-7 shooting, including a late bucket to help put Portland away. And rookie center Alex Len showed flashes of what led the Suns to take him No. 5 overall out of Maryland, though he struggled at times while scoring on his only shot attempt and picking up three fouls in eight minutes of action.
Forwards P.J. Tucker, Gerald Green and Marcus Morris also combined for 29 points -- 18 of which came from Tucker -- to go along with 13 rebounds.
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Jeff Hornacek: We got it back to Phoenix Suns basketball
- Suns' Jeff Hornacek finishes behind Spurs' Gregg Popovich in Coach of the Year voting
- Phoenix Suns' vocal, emotional leader P.J. Tucker wants to return
- Suns analyst: Team would benefit from veteran experience, clutch performer
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Friday April 18Does Eric Bledsoe want to spend the prime of his career with the Suns?