Suns' revamped frontcourt impresses in season-opening win
Despite operating somewhat shorthanded with the recent trade of Marcin Gortat and the suspension of forward Markieff Morris, Phoenix's bigs left their mark on a game that opened something of a new era for the Suns, who were debuting new jerseys, a new coach and an overhauled roster.
Center Miles Plumlee, acquired in an offseason trade with the Indiana Pacers, scored 18 points, grabbed 15 rebounds and blocked three shots -- surpassing his 2012 season total for points and matching it in blocks.
"Things went my way to begin with, and the confidence just kept rolling," Plumlee said. "All you can ask for is the opportunity."
Forward Channing Frye -- who missed all of last season because of an enlarged heart -- scored seven points on 3-of-7 shooting, including a late bucket to help put Portland away. And rookie center Alex Len showed flashes of what led the Suns to take him No. 5 overall out of Maryland, though he struggled at times while scoring on his only shot attempt and picking up three fouls in eight minutes of action.
Forwards P.J. Tucker, Gerald Green and Marcus Morris also combined for 29 points -- 18 of which came from Tucker -- to go along with 13 rebounds.
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe: 'I'm ready to go'
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?